Exploring Maharashtra Beyond Mumbai

For years, Mumbai was the only Maharashtra I knew. The local trains, the sea link, the endless energy of the city. But after one too many weekends spent scrolling through photos of green hills and quiet valleys just a few hours away, I finally decided it was time for a proper Maharashtra road trip.

Leaving the City Behind

The moment I hit the Mumbai-Pune Expressway, something shifted. The traffic thinned out, the air felt lighter, and the Sahyadri hills started appearing through the clouds. I remember rolling down the window just to smell the wet earth after a light drizzle.

My first stop was Lonavala. I reached during the monsoon, and honestly, that timing made all the difference. Waterfalls poured down the hillsides right next to the road, and I stopped at a small stall for hot chikki and cutting chai while watching the mist roll over the valley.



Mahabaleshwar and Panchgani: Slowing Down

From Lonavala, I continued toward Mahabaleshwar. The drive itself felt like part of the experience, with winding roads and strawberry farms lining both sides. I stopped at a small farm where the owner let me pick strawberries straight from the field, something I had never done before.

Panchgani was just a short detour away, and I am glad I did not skip it. Standing at Table Land in the evening, watching the sun dip behind the plateau, I felt genuinely at peace. A local shopkeeper told me stories about how the town used to be a quiet retreat for British officers, and that little history lesson made the visit feel richer.

Kolhapur's Bold Flavors

Kolhapur surprised me the most. I went expecting temples and history, and I left thinking mostly about the food. The Kolhapuri misal I had one morning was so spicy that tears rolled down my face, yet I could not stop eating it. The local vendor laughed and handed me extra buttermilk without me even asking.

Nashik's Vineyards and Quiet Charm

The atmosphere of Nashik was completely different. Vineyards covered the roadsides in Nashik, and I also spent some time in one of those wineries to get an insight into the process of turning grapes harvested from the outskirts of Mumbai into wine. This tranquil atmosphere coupled with the Godavari river near Nashik made it one of the most underrated destinations around Mumbai.

The Joy of Not Having to Drive

The one thing that ensured that this whole trip went smoothly was that I did not drive but opted for an outstation cab instead. I could make stops at various viewpoints along the way and take my time at the food stalls, just relaxing and enjoying the beauty of nature without getting worried about traffic jams or the routes. In terms of planning, CabBazar was used to book the cab.

More Than Just a Road Trip

Between the mist-covered hills of Lonavala and the vineyards of Nashik, somewhere on this journey that started from Mumbai, I understood that this road trip was not about getting the destination ticked off. It was more about taking my time, meeting new people and noticing little things that I would have otherwise missed.

Maharashtra has so much more to offer than Mumbai's skyline and crowded streets. If you ever get the chance, take that road trip. Skip the itinerary sometimes, follow a random turn, and let the state surprise you the way it surprised me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip from Delhi to Chandigarh – Route Information

Safety Tips for Travel in COVID-19 times

Hyderabad to Srisailam Cab Booking for a Safe and Comfortable Journey